Thursday, 7 February 2013

Life Hacks by Green Cleaning

Some everyday problems can be solved with forehead slapping ease. All it takes is an identified need, the ingenuity of a child, re-purposed items and a few simple tools. My dad is a fantastic problem solver and a re-user of objects. With a family of 10 to shelter, feed and support, he and my mum always had big ideas and limited resources.

My baby daughter was having a hard time breathing, we spent some time in her little tent with 
eucalyptus steaming in a bucket of boiling water. That helped a bit. Having looked at $35 asthma inhaler (puffer) spacers in the chemist, it struck me that they were the same shape as a water bottle. I McGuiver'd hubby's inhaler to a 600ml water bottle (with the bottom cut off) with some duct tape and held it in front of her face, it helped big time.

After a bit of a google investigation, I found some other references that people have been making home-made spacers since puffers were invented. Various objects such as toilet paper tubes, and card board boxes have been applied as spacers. 





The pinterest board; Life Hacks by Green Cleaning is a tribute to my parents life lessons of thinking outside the box. Some of these new applications for old things might get you out of a jam someday, as they did me.


Great minds think alike:
Homemade Asthma Nebulizer: A New Use for Recycled Water Bottles - Rod Moser, PA, PhD

(NOTE: Don't diagnose via Dr. Google and never give prescription medicine to anyone without first checking with a doctor or health hotline.)


2 comments:

  1. I am very much pleased with the contents you have mentioned. I wanted to thank you for this great article. I enjoyed every little bit part of it and I will be waiting for the new updates.
    Utah green cleaners

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have no idea which product is the best option, feel free to ask your local cleaning services company if they have some recommendations. Scrubbing gently with soap and water may also help. Cleaning Hacks

    ReplyDelete